The Guardian and Trainie

The Guardian and Trainie
Nick and Babe

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Quince, coyotes and things

The quince tree is almost bare.  I still have a few in a box on my porch but I just can't seem to get motivated to cook them down.  Oh well maybe another day.  Last night the dogs were barking, barking, barking then I heard why.  There was a big coyote out there somewhere.  At least it sounded like a big one.  Those dogs never cease to amaze me.  They are on watch every night like clock work.  They patrol the perimeter of the property every night and  sometimes during the day as well.  I don't always see them patroling but I do see their huge paw prints.  That is something to see.  These dogs are giants.  The male, Nick is about 110 lbs. and stands about 27 inches at the shoulder.  The females are a couple of inches shorter and probably 10 to 20 lbs lighter but the puppy I call Babe is a close second to Nick and she loves to do the same work as Nicky.  Nina, the mom, the alpha female in the pack she stays predominately with the herd.  Her pup, Maddy, also known as Madrigal, she also stays with herd and Nina.  Nick and Babe, they are perimeter dogs.  They are the first on the scene.  Rest assured though all four dogs are on anything that needs to be dealt with.  Living out here on a large ranch alone it is so comforting to have the dogs for protection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment