The Guardian and Trainie

The Guardian and Trainie
Nick and Babe

Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Outback Station on the west coast of California

It is late the darkness surrounds us here on the ranch. The rain has subsided and the dogs are quiet. The coyotes must be laying low. Maybe their bellies are full so the sheep are safe for now. The lambs must be sleeping for their bleating has stopped. The sounds of the big rigs passing through in the night remind me of the world out there beyond our little realm. I love being here with the sounds of the night. They soothe me. I am left with my thoughts to wander where they may.
The dogs are out there somewhere watching, listening napping as they will with their ears always on guard. They are the great protectors of the land. They are a force to be reckoned with. I experienced this force first hand but I am now part of the pack. The dogs have a job and they do their job well. No one has to tell them what to do or when to do it. It is in their blood, in their genes. Their job has been passed on from one generation to the next genetically. It is really an amazing thing to watch and be a part of. They watch after the sheep but when I arrived they began to watch after me as well. No one asked them to do it was just in their nature to take care of all of us who live on the property. I am extremely thankful. I love that I am part of their pack.
When I first came here and was introduced to Nick I was with the property owner. Nick was chained up I was not aware of why but Nick seemed pleasant. I am not afraid of dogs I have owned a few in my life. I had no reason to be afraid of Nick. When I met Nick again he lunged at me for no apparent reason. That concerned me somewhat because I was to be living on the same property with him. I honestly thought that if he had not been on the chain he would have seriously injured me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Great blog, Melanie!!!!

    Keep up with the writing:)

    Dana T

    ReplyDelete