The Guardian and Trainie

The Guardian and Trainie
Nick and Babe

Monday, January 18, 2010

Rain, rain, rain

We are getting thoroughly sogged out here.  The ponds are beyond full!  The culverts are at capacity and over flowing.  Water is a good thing though.  Just wish we could store more of it for the summer months.  We do have two empty tanks down by the spring but no way as of yet to get the water in.  Oh well soon I hope. 
Last night the rain started, well actually it started yesterday after me and Al finished blocking the dam at the spring.  We were trying to get more water into the lower pond.  I guess mother nature will cover that end of things.  I love it when it rains.  I enjoy being inside staying toasty warm by the fire and listening to the rain come and go.  When the rain subsides I can hear the water from the upper pond crashing down over the spill way, I just love that sound.  Speaking of sounds, I have a veranda around 3/4 of my house and it has the metal  corrugated panels for the roof, I love the sound of the rain hitting those panels. 
I read an email from the city of Healdsburg and they said we would have rain through Thursday.  Big storm fronts moving through. 
I feel sorry for the sheep.  The barn will keep them dry or at least most of them but it isn't much for keeping them out of the mud.  The inside of the barn gets so rank.  Whoever decided to build the barn built it right beside a creek.  Not too smart.  Not only is it next to a creek but it is in a low spot.  With 300 acres you would think they would choose a spot on higher ground.  It is amazing how animals deal with nature.  Most of these sheep will be in the barn and some will stay outside and not necessarily under cover of anything.  They will just stand there in the rain.  Maybe that's a good thing for what if lightening struck?  Being under a tree might not be the best idea. 
I am hoping I won't have to go out in the rain but I do want to drive out the road, check all the culverts and see how full the upper pond has gotten.  Catch you all later.   

No comments:

Post a Comment